Tuesday 22 December 2015

THE CHRONICLES OF LEO & FRIENDS: CHRISTMAS AROUND EUROPE


CHRISTMAS IN NETHERLANDS

In the Netherlands we have not one, but two days of Christmas: Eerste Kerstdag ('First Christmas Day', on the 25th of December) and Tweede Kerstdag ('Second Christmas Day') - even when giving names to holidays, Dutch people are very pragmatic. Also, instead of giving and receiving gifts during Christmas, most Dutch people do this on the 5th of December, at Sinterklaasavond (Saint Nicholas' Eve). Thanks to this saint, the period leading up to Christmas seems to be shorter in my country than over here in Poland. When Wroclaw's Christmas market began in November, I couldn't help but feeling a bit shocked. "What?! Wait... We still have to celebrate Sinterklaas!"

Without the need of buying presents, I do not feel the kind of holiday stress that Christmas is known for, although our big family dinner on the 25th leads to some stress every year. Who will come, what to make, how to finish all the dishes at the same time... Fortunately, because we did this many times, some parts of the dinner have become family traditions that probably will never change. For example, my brother and one of my cousins always take care of the frying pan while catching up with each other and drinking beer. Other family traditions include eating slices of kerststol (Dutch Christmas bread) on Christmas' Eve, while watching the yearly Christmas edition of 'All You Need Is Love', a Dutch television show that includes a lot of people being reunited with their faraway loved ones, and a lot of advertisements in between. And on Second Christmas Day my parents, brother and I usually go for a walk on the beach. Actually, we started doing this just three years ago, but it instantly became a 'tradition' - an essential part of our Christmas holiday.



This year, I'm going to celebrate Christmas in my home country, with my family, together with my Macedonian roomie Zorica. Hopefully, she will enjoy this holiday as much as I do.

I wish all of you a very merry Christmas and a happy 2016!
Vrolijk kerstfeest en een gelukkig nieuwjaar!

WENDY

No comments:

Post a Comment